Friday, May 17, 2024

Unsolicited Advise.....Really?

I was just told on another thread that I should not give advice unsolicited, while the person was giving me unsolicited advice. Welcome to the world of the narcissist, they are allowed to say everything they want and the other person in the conversation is supposed to just nod and say; "yes sir, yes sir." LOL
Isn't telling someone else not to give unsolicited advice giving unsolicited advice? Just asking!!!!
If you don't want any input from me while you are sharing your thoughts then go talk to a wall and leave me alone.
I am not a statue or a robot, when anyone speaks to me I feel free to interject into the conversation the same as they are doing.
Relationships are built on mutual respect and mutual desire to learn about the other person and to help the other person if we think we have something that will assist them.
If all someone wants is someone else to sit there and nod mindlessly to whatever is said then there is no purpose to the relationship.
I am all for remaining silent when someone is hurting, even waiting for an appropriate moment to share something that might help. However, I am weary of those who think they can use me like a robot or sounding board without considering I might have something to offer them.
Everyone has something they can offer, when one person is shut down expected to remain silent and treated with contempt for their thoughts then there is no relationship.
The new mantra circulating the internet is "we shouldn't give unsolicited advice" as though telling us that is not unsolicited advice. It is hypocritical at its core.
Romans 15:14
"I myself am satisfied about you, my brothers, that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge and able to instruct one another."
Hebrews 3:13
"But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin."
Encouragement is not praise, it is to inspire the hearer to continue going toward Christ in all they do. Praise is not encouragement, often it is nothing more than flattery that detracts from honest conversation about truth and righteousness.
Expecting someone to be nothing more than a sounding board so one can selfishly focus on their own thoughts is not love and not honor for the other person.
Romans 12:10
"Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor."
Just something to think about! Notice how many new ideas are cropping up in our culture that intimidate people into silence so that no one grows and learns. It is quite astounding really.
Romans 12:10 ESV / 25 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment